/PVA in the News
PBN: AIA Honolulu announces winners of 64th Design Awards
Pacific Business News: AIA Honolulu announces winners of 64th annual Design Awards.
The Kobayashi and Kosasa Family Dining Room at Kapi'olani Medical Center for Women & Children received an AIA Honolulu Award of Merit at the 64th annual Design Awards on Friday, August 26th. Congratulations to the incredible team - Hawaii Pacific Health, Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children, Constructors Hawaii Inc., Engineering Systems Hawaii Inc, KAI Hawaii, Inc., Electech Hawaii, Mizo & Associates, James Peters Designs, and Sodexo Hawaii.
Juror comments on the project include the following:
- One of the more successful interpretations of the ancient “Ahupua’a” concept amongst the submissions, the jury felt that this clarity in the execution of the diagram coupled with the unique and serendipitous moments of abstraction – e.g., the oversized wood tree elements – provided a renovation project that is both accessible to the end users as well as transformational in its successful efforts in bringing the restorative power of the outdoors in.
- This project is a delightful space that will bring joy to children and their parents, allowing them to forget about being within a hospital setting. The architect’s ability to translate the abstract concept of the ahupua’a into built form was successfully executed.
- Great translation of the local landscape into a place that will help to lift spirits of the women and children and families seeking medical services.
- The impact of the vibrant interior finishes and the free-flowing plan for the dining space is multiplied by opening up the façade to views of the neighborhood. This gesture, in combination with access to the open-air lanai, provides patients and families with a moment of respite during their healthcare journey.
- This vivid dining room delivers an experience so engaging and dynamic it seems to transport guests to another place. Entered through an appealing ‘mauka’ bamboo forest, the dining room opens into a vast, makai cobalt aquaria. This fantasy environment provides parents and children a much welcome escape from hospital realities.
Read the entire article on the 2022 AIA Honolulu design awards online here or see a PDF here.